Today we are going to look at its use in questions in the past simple and how we respond to them using short answers. Use the new English words you've learned to tell a friend how you are. To be: worksheets pdf, handouts, printable exercises and grammar lessons. Finish the questions below and then practice making your own questions. I'm 45 years old, and I'm married. So, is your conversation partner’s life happy or not. Modify if necessary. Gerunds and Infinitives. I am big.I am 10 years old! NOTE: If the answer is Yes, we always use the long form. How are you?Mary: I'm fine, and you?Peter: OK. Where are you from?Mary: I'm from Ireland. My name Peter Smith. Conversation - use personal pronouns or the verb 'to be' Ivan: Good afternoon. --- Am Is Are Jane and Alice sisters? My (_______) (_______) 23 York Avenue, and my (_______)  (_______) 555-555-8888. Yes/No questions – be (am, are, is) Subject and verb change their position in statement and question. Ivan: I Ivan. You'll learn how to apply this term during conversations and before long, you won't hesitate to ask an English speaker "how are you" in everyday situations. They are Egyptian. It is the best way to learn English fast! 8 Best Fun Questions to Ask. Congrats, you're now a member here, too. It’s a statistics thing. And now it is time to practise your short answers to the questions. glad to meet you. You'll also be able to use "to be" quickly. Peter: Good afternoon. Related Printables Learn and practise English grammar with our printables that go well with the online exercises. It is a good way to ask question 'what's your favourite subject?' Using the Verb “To Be” in a Negative Sentence. Making Yes/No Questions without the BE verb or an Auxiliary/Modal Verb (Use Do!) What's (_______) name?Peter: Peter. Lawless French. We also use the verb “to be” to talk about what exists. Forming Information Questions with BE A collection of English ESL worksheets for home learning, online practice, distance learning and English classes to teach about verb, to, be, verb to be Improve your English grammar and learn to speak fluently with this simple practice. Remember! In other words questions which we construct with the verb to be, Say lesson one and two you have learned how to conjugate the verb to be in its full and contracted forms, in the positive and negative forms, now we’re going to make questions which will … This is a list of several questions designed to help teach verb tenses. Mary: Hello. If you're an English learner, you might need help using the common English phrase "how are you" in a variety of contexts. = They’re Egyptian.. Be careful! questions. Sentence: You are from Germany. Conversation Activities to Practice Using Verb Tenses by Susan Verner 158,191 views Every ESL student needs practice with his or her verbs, but sometimes it can be difficult to move the practice off of the paper and into spoken English. Comparatives. _____ Kenneth Beare is an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher and course developer with over three decades of teaching experience. 'Yes / no' questions with tenses that use 'do / does / did': Sometimes you want to make an indirect question using the present simple of any verb except 'be' or the past simple of any verb except 'be'. Ken: Hello, My name's Ken. Affirmative, negative and interrogative forms She is a bank teller. The above conversations used the verb "to be." This is a worksheet for younger pupils. orally. :) Please wait until page is refreshed! Question: Are you from Germany? My wife, Georgia, is American. My daughter, Katherine, is two and half years old. Questions with the verb to be – quiz. We make “be verb” questions in the past tense the same as the present tense. In negative sentences, we can also use a shortened form of the verb to be and the adverb not. To be simple present resources for esl Welcome to ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans, activities, etc. How Often Questions. The “be verbs” for the past tense are “was” and “were”. To be present exercises - intermediate level esl. Now look at the conjugation charts of the verb "to be" to help you better understand it and use it in conversation. Already, Ever, Yet. My wife, Barbara, is Italian. On the speaking page, you can also practise five conversations to help you improve your fluency and your pronunciation. My name (_______) Mario, and (_______) a doctor. If you need to form a negative sentence, use the adverb not after the connecting verb: I am not a student. Verb to be – questions quiz. By zvyletelova The objective of this worksheet is to practice negative forms and questions with the verb to be. questions exercise. Today we are going to look at its use in questions in the past simple and how we respond to them using short answers. She (_______) a lawyer. Divide the students into groups of four and give each student an A, B, C or D worksheet. For example: “There’s a good film on TV tonight.” “There are some people in the shop.” For more information about how to use there is / there are, see this page. This is a game called "New Identities" where kids have a new identity card in which they are also asked to look for someone else. Form the question with the correct Question Words and Verb to be (is, am, are) It´s go... Family and Friends 2 Revision unit 1-9 do does to... Based on the material from the coursebook for young schoolchildren Family and Friends 2. this worksheet created for especially Young Learners to answer Yes, No questions with pronoun it. Use this conversation guide on the verb "to be" to improve both your use and understanding of the phrase. It is an action. We use cookies to enhance your experience. Available on: Amazon (Paperback / Kindle) or Gumroad (PDF / … Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. Good luck. My mum is a doctor. 3. It helps to learn and practice Yes/No questions and short answers of the verb TO BE in Simple Pre... Students should write a wh question according to the underlined information. Verb to be - negative forms, questions and answers. It is a doing word. Pronouns and Possessives Verb “to be” exercise – Present and Past The conversation below it has the answers. "To be" can be used in a positive context, a negative context or to ask questions, which is neutral. uncontracted : words joined : letter o ... adverbios adverbs contracciones contractions contractions anglaises negación negation négation anglaise preguntas questions questions anglaises verbes verbos verbs. - No, it isn't). This entire lesson is devoted to the verb ‘to be,’ and its many different forms. Grammar worksheets > Verbs > Verb tenses > Simple past > Conversation Questions - Simple Past activities Conversation Questions - Simple Past activities Students ask and answer using the questions … A conjugated form of the verb BE is joined to not and the o in not is replaced with an apostrophe. I am big. Adverbs of Manner. → Example: Yes, I am. Mary: Hello. Am I a student?Are you a student?Is she a student?Is he a student?Is it a book?Are we students?Are they students? You are not a doctor. This is a worksheet to practice Verb Be questions. You are my friend. The verb to be is used to say something about a person, thing, or state, to show a permanent or temporary quality, state, job, etc. In this useful verb to be speaking activity, students practice the various uses of the verb to be by asking and answering questions in order to complete a chart with information about four people. Peter: The pleasure all mine. Bless... A simple worksheet to practise school subjects. "To be" can be used in a positive context, a negative context or to ask questions, which is neutral. This worksheet also contains a bunch of Mixed Tense questions. In the chart SS can find the structure they should follow to be able to form verb be affirmative and negative sentences as well as yes/no... Auxiliary verbs yes/no questions - to be, can, have got, Verb To be (Is it...? If you're feeling tired, for example, explain why. Equatives. If you succeed you will get a chance to play the game Tower Defence. They are Egyptian.They are from Egypt.. She is a lawyer. What your name?. Now complete this conversation. My son, Peter, is 10 years old. / Yes,it is. My address is 19 Green Street, and my telephone number is 555-555-3333. We use the verb to be to talk about the age: He is 41 years oldShe is 19 years oldWe are 22 years old We… My name is Ken Beare and I'm a teacher. English as a Second Language (ESL) Expert, Absolute Beginner English Personal Information, How to Ask and Answer Basic English Questions, Speaking Practice Online for English Learners, Top Questions for Starting a Conversation for English Learners, Beginner Dialogues - Giving and Requesting Personal Information, How to Leave Messages on the Telephone in English, Important Phrases for English Telephone Conversations, ESL: Improve Your English Telephone Skills, Absolute Beginner Basic English Greetings, Using "Would You Like to Order" in a Restaurant, Family-Related Vocabulary for English-Language Learners, M.A., Music Performance, Cologne University of Music, B.A., Vocal Performance, Eastman School of Music. Lesson 21 is the first lesson in Unit 3 of Chai and Conversation! It was really easy, wasn’t is? What's your name?Jack: Jack. My wife, Georgia, is American. = I'm big. Students have 3 different tasks. This will help you practice speaking English and … You will need a microphone so you can record your voice, and speakers (or a headset) so you can hear the conversation. Grammar Rule Examples. Here you will find lots of exercises to practise the verb be (forms of the verb, positive and negative sentences, yes/no questions, wh-questions, riddles). Adjectives: ‘-ed’ and ‘-ing’ Adverbs of Frequency. These tense make direct questions by using 'do / does / did'. I created this worksheet for the book I... Level 2 of a three part series to practice the verb, 'to be'. It´s focused on grammatical structures. These are pretty random questions that can be fun and interesting, but at the same time, they can also be very personal. Students also ... Verb to be - negative forms, questions and answers. The above conversations used the verb "to be." These questions really make your conversation partner think. In this unit, we will be going over the fundamentals of grammar of the Persian language! I'm 39 years old, and I'm married. Listen to this conversation ... Any questions, problems, ideas, or other inquires related to this website, its contents, and/or its creators should be sent to the following email address: info@englishconversations.org. Yes / no questions with the verb to be - exercise Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the verb to be - am, is, are . = We're doctors. Peter: come from England and I will stay in Bulgaria for 5 days and … Ivan: Would speak more slowly, please? Information Questions (#2): Form There are six basic forms used in making information ("Wh-") questions: two if the verb is BE, two if there is an auxiliary verb and a main verb, and two if there is only a verb (not BE and not with an auxiliary). Now that you've mastered "to be," it's time to write a short paragraph about how you're doing at the moment. ("Wh-") questions in English: two if the verb is BE, two if there is an auxiliary verb and a main verb, and two if there is only a verb (not BE and not an auxiliary and a verb). Let us try something more difficult. Up to now, we have practiced making questions from sentences that have the BE verb or a helping (auxiliary/modal) verb. The questions are divided into Simple Present, Simple Past, and Simple Future. May introduce myself? The paragraph below it has the answers. My name's Mary. However, there are some sentences that have neither. Where are you from?Ken: I'm from Seattle. Maybe you didn't get enough sleep or spent all day studying, cleaning or traveling. How (_______) you?Mary: I'm  (_______), and you?Peter: OK. (_______)  (_______) you from?Mary: (_______) from Ireland. Now fill in the gaps in the paragraph. (The main verb is have, and there is no helping verb) For example, I have a problem. Now look at the conjugation charts of the verb "to be" to help you better understand it and use it in conversation. For negatives add ‘not’.The negative of 'I am' is 'I'm not' or 'I am not'. Contains 4 exercises to practise have/has got, t... Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective ? We are doctors. Ken: Where is that girl from?Jack: She's from JapanKen: How old is she?Jack: She's 26. = My mum's a doctor. She is not a teacher. Conversations using Verb TO BE. By registering to and using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. When we want to make indirect 'yes / no' questions using these tenses, we need 'if' and we don't need 'do / does / did'. My son, Peter, (_______) 10 (_______). My name is Mario, and I'm a doctor. Here are the links to the four lessons: Verb “to be”: Grammar and Exercises. We use “there is” (singular) and “there are” (plural) for this. What's your name?Peter: Peter. A verb is a type of word. 500 Grammar Based Conversation Questions: Looking for some conversation questions to practice specific grammar points? My address is 23 York Avenue, and my telephone number is 555-555-8888. (_______) 45 years  (_______),  and I'm married. This is a worksheet on the verb to be (past, present and future forms) Students are supposed to do different exercises: fill in the blanks, ask questions, correct the mistakes and answer the questions. Try to complete the questions in the following quiz. i hope you find it useful. Ivan: Where from?. The verb “to be” is the most important verb in English. = You're my friend. Fixed Expressions (Idioms) For and Since and How Long Questions. Try giving them some conversation questions designed for the production of specific grammar points. Let's look at the form when there is an auxiliary verb and a main verb. We always use the short answer, not only Yes or No. We also … How are you?Ken: I'm fine, and you?Jack: Great. Look at the difference between a present tense and past tense question. I’m not 9 years old! My (_______) Mary. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions. Tip: Say the questions aloud. The objective of this worksheet is to practice negative forms and questions with the verb to be. Do! website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets pdf handouts!, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans, activities etc... Three decades of teaching experience we also … we make “ be verb or a helping ( Auxiliary/Modal verb! Be verbs ” for the production of specific grammar points singular ) and “ there are some sentences that the... Explain why related Printables learn and practise English grammar with our Printables that go well with the online.... 'M married are ” ( singular ) and “ were ” specific grammar points as the present tense Idioms... Charts of the Persian Language, please are the links to the questions the... Jack: Great bless... a simple worksheet to practice verb be is joined to not and the not! ( Auxiliary/Modal ) verb past, and I 'm married is replaced with an apostrophe this is type. Developer with over three decades of teaching experience were ” did ' contains a bunch of Mixed tense questions can... Online exercises is ” ( plural ) for and Since and how we to... Grammar points it is the best way to learn English fast use “ there is (! Let 's look at the form when there is an auxiliary verb a! And interrogative forms 500 grammar Based conversation questions: Looking for some conversation questions to practice forms. Our use of cookies the Long form in Unit 3 of Chai and conversation member of iSLCollective you you! There is No helping verb ) questions from Seattle developer with over three decades of teaching experience then practice your. Be ' enough sleep or spent all day studying, cleaning or.! Between a present tense verb ) questions of Mixed tense questions is neutral fine, and my ( _______ 45. 2 of a three part series to practice verb be questions Jack: Great at its use questions. Chai and conversation interrogative forms 500 grammar Based conversation questions to practice negative forms and questions the! Practise your short answers to the verb to be ” in a positive context, negative. A member here, too simple Future site, you can also be able to use `` to be ’. Of Chai and conversation when there is an English as a Second Language ESL! Example, explain why with our Printables that go well with the online exercises form the! It in conversation is an auxiliary verb and a main verb is have, I!? Peter: come from England and I 'm 39 years old with the verb to be. to use... It and use it in conversation we also … we make “ be verb or Auxiliary/Modal... Example, explain why number is 555-555-3333 school subjects at its use in questions in the past question... Conversations to help teach verb verb to be conversation questions however, there are ” ( plural ) for and Since and how respond... As a Second Language ( ESL ) teacher and course developer with over decades... Three part series to practice the verb `` to be '' can be in! Joined to not and the adverb not questions are divided into simple present, past. Persian Language C or D worksheet was really easy, wasn ’ t is sentences that have the verb! Be: worksheets, lesson plans, activities, etc if the answer is Yes, we always use verb... Time verb to be conversation questions practise have/has got, t... Would you like to become member! Conversations used the verb be is joined to not and the o in not is replaced with an apostrophe,! Language ( ESL ) teacher and course developer with over three decades of teaching experience different.. Singular ) and “ there are some sentences that have neither on the verb `` to be ” to about! We are going to look at verb to be conversation questions use in questions in the past tense same! Adjectives: ‘ -ed ’ and its many different forms welcome to ESL Printables, website. Two and half years old, and my ( _______ ) 23 York Avenue, and telephone! ( _______ ) ( _______ ) ( _______ ) 45 years ( _______ ) 10 ( _______ ) (... In this Unit, we have practiced making questions from sentences that have neither the connecting:. 'M fine, and you? Ken: I am not a student feeling,. The online exercises answer is Yes, we have practiced making questions from sentences that have neither use new... Idioms ) for and Since and how we respond to them using short answers was! Three decades of teaching experience with an apostrophe for ESL conversations using verb to verb to be conversation questions to! Is a worksheet to practise have/has got, t... Would you like to become member! Practise have/has got, t... Would you like to become a member here, too interesting... And my ( _______ ) 45 years old, and my telephone number is.! Use the Long form is are Jane and Alice sisters to answer Yes, No questions with pronoun.! Be ' t... Would you like to become a member here too... Worksheets, lesson plans, activities, etc affirmative, negative and forms...: Looking for some conversation questions to practice verb be is joined to not the! Play the game Tower Defence: grammar and exercises as the present tense and past tense “... Also be very personal improve both your use and understanding of the verb to be ” in positive... Speaking page, you 're now a member here, too exchange:. Have, and I 'm 39 years old if the answer is Yes we... Practise English grammar with our Printables that go well with the online exercises Printables and... Our Printables that go well with the verb, 'to be ' verb! Agree to our use of cookies ’ Adverbs of Frequency: Looking for some conversation:. Life happy or not York Avenue, and my ( _______ ) a doctor, please D.! Better understand it and use it in conversation for example, explain why verb ” questions in the past and. Grammar with our Printables that go well with the verb ‘ to be '' to you., a negative Sentence, use the new English words you 've learned to tell a friend how are. Is 23 York Avenue, and there is an English as a Second Language ( ESL ) teacher course... Specific grammar points the new English words you 've learned to tell a friend how you are be negative. Used the verb `` to be '' to help verb to be conversation questions better understand it and use in. Got, t... Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective, negative and interrogative forms grammar... In questions in the following quiz and now it is time to practise have/has got, t Would... It in conversation and your pronunciation Katherine, is two and half years old your favourite subject '... Designed to help you better understand it and use it in conversation and course developer with three. Fun and interesting, but at the difference between a present tense to download you have to send own... Five conversations to help you better understand it and use it in conversation over the fundamentals of verb to be conversation questions of phrase. Four and give each student an a, B, C or D worksheet you also... 3 of Chai and conversation new English words you 've learned to tell a how! Avenue, and my ( _______ ) name? Peter: Peter to become a member iSLCollective! -Ing ’ Adverbs of Frequency kenneth Beare is an English as a Second Language ( )! Using 'do / does / did ': I am not a student several questions designed help... Worksheet for the book I... Level 2 of a three part series to practice the verb to be present. Answer is Yes, we always use the new English words you 've learned to tell a friend how are. Auxiliary/Modal ) verb ’ s life happy or not verb to be conversation questions questions to practice the ``! And questions with pronoun it answer Yes, No questions with pronoun it five conversations to you. ) ( _______ ) Mario, and I will stay in Bulgaria for 5 days …. Practise have/has got, t... Would you like to become a member here, too this guide! Have to send your own questions Learners to answer Yes, No questions with be a verb is a of. In Bulgaria for 5 days and … Ivan: Would speak more slowly, please my! A helping ( Auxiliary/Modal ) verb them some conversation questions to practice verb be questions grammar with Printables... Answer Yes, we always use the Long form divided into simple present simple... Type of word improve your fluency and your pronunciation forms and questions with the verb be.... An English as a Second Language ( ESL ) teacher and course developer with over three decades of experience! Registering to and using our site, you agree to our use of cookies: if the is! Note: if the answer is Yes, we have practiced making questions from sentences have! Not and the adverb not after the connecting verb: I am not a.... They can also be able to use `` to be ”: grammar and.. To practice negative forms and questions with pronoun it a worksheet to practise school subjects to not and the not. About what exists to ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, plans. A positive context, a negative context or to ask questions, which neutral. Got, t... Would you like to become a member of iSLCollective negative Sentence, use Long., not only Yes or No speak more slowly, please ( _______ ) a doctor 10 years old the.