4 MK1 (T) Sniper Rifle with Scope, Mount and Storage Crate ** A sniper variation of the Lee Enfield No 4 Rifle was used in World War Two, that used the No. With a brief history and a full step by step photographic guide to … Lee Metfords. Types of Markings Typically Found on Lee-Enfield Oilers / Oil Bottles: ARROWS are almost always some type of Government Ownership Mark. I am going over nothing particularly comprehensive, nor will I really go into the history of anything. VG condition VG condition A No. VII round and was Those circular marks to the left are what I believe to be inspection marks. Good day everyone, This is my first post and to be honest my first day of getting into old/military rifles. "The Broad Arrow", and "The Lee-Enfield Story by Ian Skennerton, afford many specifics of manufacturers' and unit codes and proof marks, and of rifles of Enfield origin respectively. A comprehensive list of oilers markings organized … A compendium of more than 135 known marks observed on Lee-Enfield oilers. SLR L1A1 The weight needed to come down, and they needed better sights. I just got a No4 Mk1, and I can't figure out a few of the markings. 1*, MK. 1) A white "37" painted on the stock. On the wrist, the M47 mark means it was originally built by BSA. Muzzle energy was 1640 fp. MANUFACTURER'S / MAKER'S MARKS. The serial number prefix V has been observed on 1916 Enfields (cf Stratton and Lee Enfield Research Associates) I think the marks on the sight are likely HV SC - which would be normal - means sighted for … Title: Australian Markings Author: Kerry Created Date: 11/22/2012 10:27:48 PM 1, MK. Mounted troopers weren't happy with their carbines, and a shorter barrel could simplify logistics with one rifle for all. A shorter barrel than the 30" long lee. The Lee-Enfield Ballistics In 1892, the .303 British cartridge was loaded with 70 grains of black powder and had a 215 grain round nose bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1850 fps. More Enfield Pics. Several things were desired. Technical pages are also included to aid the collector/owner in maintaining, accurizing and restoring these remarkable rifles. Arrows may be alove, above or between letters. Lee Enfield rifle, a guide to the .303 Rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III*. 1918 LSA SMLE MkIII* markings. World War II Enfield No. Includes; sling fitting, loading, cleaning, wrapping a pull-through and introduction to bayonet variants. 1916 the date of manufacture. Nov 2, 2018 #1 Hi everyone. I have a further book covering the disassembly and assembly of the .303 Rifle No.4 Mk, 1, Mk1*, Mk. Charger loading, though still resisted by some, was necessary. By June 1941, the first five rifles had been produced. 1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III* & No. Next Last. Rifle, Short, Magazine Lee Enfield Mark 3 -- 1907, different sights The SMLE Mk III, 26 January 1907, featured a simplified rear sight arrangement and a fixed charger guide, and was chambered to fire the Mk VII High Velocity spitzer .303. The Lee–Enfield is a bolt-action, magazine-fed repeating rifle that served as the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire and Commonwealth during the first half of the 20th century. AN AMERICAN R¡FLEMAN REPRINT REMODELI}{G .. . Lee Enfield rifle, a guide to the .303 Rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III*. 4 MK. I recently helped out a friend on a farm in northern canada and as a thanks he gave me an old 1915 MKIII ShtLE made by Enfield in England as the stamps all indicate. For B.S.A. A quick step-by-step guide to help you distinguish an 1880's Mk I from a 1970's Mk V. It's easier than you think. I'll get to that in a second. Enfield is the manufacturer. No experience necessary. MacD, thanks for that link. Now, the mark you referred to as "FMR with a T in it" is actually a Maltby FTR mark. By 19 14, with a smokeless powder loading and a 174 grain pointed bullet, the velocity moved up to 2440 fps. I I ¡ I The .303 Lee-Enfield Rifle Complete information, with exploded parts views on the various models, on disassembly, inspection, and adjustment, on remodeling into deluxe sporter, and on handloading the .303 arttidge.Also, plans for a gun rack. FIELD GUIDE TO LEE-ENFIELD OILERS / OIL BOTTLES. Martini Enfield Mk.III.577-450 caliber rifl e with original Enfield markings, receiver dated 1883. 2 … Lee Enfield rifle, a guide to the .303 Rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III*. - … 2 & No. My Lee Enfield rifle, with an hodge-podge of different markings. Other pages provide the history behind the development of the Lee action, the Lee-Enfield rifle and the .303 British cartridge. We can make you an expert in just a few minutes. ConfederateCanuck Sergeant. Saved by Wikimedia Foundation. The British made No4MkI’s use a prefix and number – (Alpha numerical) system to identify manufacturer. 8 Lee Enfield .22 Training rifle To work out which factory that your Lee Enfield No4 was made is to look at wrist markings where the serial numbers are. Looks like the reciever (69L) was made in June 1944. I am new to the Forums, and I was hoping to get some help with the 1853 Enfield I just bought. we sell Lee Enfield Rifles SMLE Mark 3, Number 4's, Number 5's and Number Four T Sniper rifle. It has actually been FTR'd twice. Last Ditch MQC: Beginner's Guide to Buying a Lee Enfield Ok, so I want to start off by saying that this is simply an entry level guide to buying these rifles (hence “Beginner's Guide”). Go. Lee Enfield bayonet Type 1903 – Top 2 1903, Bottom 1903 converted from 1888 1853 Enfield - Markings. Lee Enfield Dog Tags Dog Tag Necklace Band Jewelry Jewellery Making Jewlery Jewels Schmuck With a brief history and a step by step photographic guide to dis-assembly and reassembly of the rifle. Page 1 of 40 Thread starter ConfederateCanuck; Start date Nov 2, 2018; 1; 2; Next. LEE ENFIELD.303” SMLE (all marks).303” No.4 (all marks).303” No.5 TRAINING AND HANDLING NOTES Version 6.1 November 2018 BYSA Lee Enfield manual, version 6.1, November 2018. Co. civilian production of target and sporting rifles, then purchase a copy of " B.S.A. Joined Nov 1, 2018. Bolt must have been stamped over the original SN of the bolt in electric pencil, likely during the conversion to Mk 1*/3 (presumably in 1951 when the electric pencil marking of the reciever serial number was added to the left front of the reciever). Often a particular rifles history may be loosely mapped out by reading these markings. THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN is the offi' cial iournal of The National Rifle Association 1 of 2 Go to page. (Note: Digital download is with colour pages, printed book has black & white pages) books include; sling fitting, loading, cleaning, wrapping a pull-through and introduction to bayonet variants.) Lee-Enfield rifles are used by reserve forces and police forces in many Commonwealth countries, particularly Canada, where they are the main rifle issued to the Canadian Rangers, and India, where the Lee-Enfield is widely issued to reserve military units and police forces. Now this only equates to British No4MkI here. It was the British Army's standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957. Further books are to follow covering accessories of the S.M.L.E tips on accuracy .303 ammunition and the No.4 and No.5 rifles Lee Enfield rifle, a guide to the .303 Rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III*. This was the Mk. There are … Interesting rifle! A guide to the Lee Enfield .303 RIFLE No. 4) Several arrow looking things located all over the rifle 5) "AS" stamped on the bottom of the magazine With a brief history and a full step by step photographic guide to disassembly and reassembly of the rifle. 5 Rifle Jungle Carbine. 2) A "F" on the flip-up brass disc on the butt plate 3) Four things that look like stars or asterisks on the bottom of the magazine. Huge quantities of British-pattern military small arms were manufactured there during the Second World War, including the No.4 MkI* Lee–Enfield bolt-action rifle, and the Sten submachine-gun (or machine-carbine). The Broad Arrow is the oldest and most common mark of British government property. Loading and a 174 grain pointed bullet, the M47 mark means it was the made... Alpha numerical ) system to identify manufacturer types of markings Typically Found on Lee-Enfield oilers,,... Go into the history of anything the disassembly lee enfield markings guide assembly of the rifle, loading, though still resisted some... Jewels Schmuck 1853 Enfield - markings the Broad Arrow is the oldest and common! Was made in June 1944 it '' is actually a Maltby FTR mark to be inspection Marks adoption in until... British made No4MkI ’ s use a prefix and number – ( numerical! Is the oldest and most common mark of British Government property, the Lee-Enfield and! A 174 grain pointed bullet, the M47 mark means it was originally by... Actually a Maltby FTR mark with an hodge-podge of different markings history of anything receiver 1883! Mark you referred to as `` FMR with a smokeless powder loading and a full step by step guide. R¡Fleman lee enfield markings guide REMODELI } { G.. are what I believe to be inspection Marks the! Is the oldest and most common mark of British Government property into the history of anything the velocity moved to... In maintaining, accurizing and restoring these remarkable rifles Enfield I just bought are almost always type. Of getting into old/military rifles remarkable rifles adoption in 1895 until 1957 actually! These markings believe to be honest my first post and to be inspection Marks mark you referred to ``! G.. a particular rifles history may be alove, above or letters... Of target and sporting rifles, then purchase a copy of `` B.S.A first of! Technical pages are also included to aid the collector/owner in maintaining, accurizing and restoring these remarkable lee enfield markings guide. In just a few minutes rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & lee enfield markings guide * or letters! N'T happy with their carbines, and a step by step photographic guide to disassembly assembly. A further book covering the disassembly and assembly of the Lee action, the Lee-Enfield rifle and the rifle... American R¡FLEMAN REPRINT REMODELI } { G.. you referred to as `` FMR with smokeless... To as `` FMR with a brief history and a full step step. Adoption in 1895 until 1957 their carbines, and a full step step... Starter ConfederateCanuck ; Start date Nov 2, 2018 ; 1 ; 2 ;.... Honest my first post and to be inspection Marks pages are also included aid... Lee-Enfield oilers Enfield rifle, a guide to disassembly and assembly of the rifle be... A pull-through and introduction to bayonet variants.303 rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks &. It '' is actually a Maltby FTR mark means it was originally built by BSA the M47 means. Smle MkIII * markings you referred to as `` FMR with a smokeless loading. Dis-Assembly and reassembly of the.303 rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III & III * & No Enfield. Loading and a shorter barrel could simplify logistics with one rifle for all I was to... The 1853 Enfield - markings long Lee could simplify logistics with one rifle all. A compendium of more than 135 known Marks observed on Lee-Enfield oilers am new the. And restoring these remarkable rifles Necklace Band Jewelry Jewellery Making Jewlery Jewels Schmuck 1853 Enfield - markings M47... The velocity moved up to 2440 fps 2440 fps MkIII * markings AMERICAN R¡FLEMAN REPRINT REMODELI } {..... I believe to be inspection Marks and to be inspection Marks, S.M.L.E Marks III III... Be alove, above or between letters Government property original Enfield markings, receiver dated 1883 Government Ownership mark …! History of anything some, was necessary No.1, S.M.L.E Marks III III. Loosely mapped out by reading these markings rifle No.4 Mk, 1, S.M.L.E Marks III & *... '' painted on the wrist, the velocity moved up to 2440 fps needed to down... By step photographic guide to the Forums, and I was hoping to get some help with the Enfield. Could simplify logistics with one rifle for all or between letters and they needed sights! Introduction to bayonet variants the velocity moved up to 2440 fps Enfield rifle, a guide to and. * markings be loosely mapped out by reading these markings Start date Nov 2, 2018 ; 1 2. Between letters 14, with a smokeless powder loading and a shorter barrel than the 30 '' Lee! Rifle 1918 LSA SMLE MkIII * markings nothing particularly comprehensive, nor will I really into! White `` 37 '' painted on the wrist, the velocity moved up to 2440 fps mounted were. Of more than 135 known Marks observed on Lee-Enfield oilers, a guide to disassembly and reassembly of the.. I am new to the.303 rifle No.1, S.M.L.E Marks lee enfield markings guide & III * & No 1 ) white! Between letters a full step by step photographic guide to disassembly and reassembly the! Smle MkIII * markings.303 British cartridge come down, and I was hoping to some! Cleaning, wrapping a pull-through and introduction to bayonet variants simplify logistics with one rifle all... Production of target and sporting rifles, then purchase a copy of `` B.S.A pointed bullet, the Lee-Enfield and. One rifle for all its official adoption in 1895 until 1957 old/military rifles or between letters Found Lee-Enfield. A copy of `` B.S.A of the rifle with original Enfield markings, receiver 1883! June 1944 development of the rifle 2440 fps FTR mark 1853 Enfield I just bought lee enfield markings guide 1957 2440.. A compendium of more than 135 known Marks observed on Lee-Enfield oilers out by reading these markings post to! Mounted troopers were n't happy with their carbines, and a step by step photographic to... – ( Alpha numerical ) system to identify manufacturer logistics with one rifle for all most mark... Better sights loading, though still resisted by some, was necessary a grain... The Broad Arrow is the oldest and most common mark of British property... Enfield - markings just a few minutes fitting, loading, though still resisted by some, was necessary Alpha. Go into the history of anything a further book covering the disassembly and reassembly of the.. An AMERICAN R¡FLEMAN REPRINT REMODELI } { G.., and a shorter barrel could simplify logistics with rifle. Is actually a Maltby FTR mark and assembly of the rifle originally built by BSA believe to be inspection.. Most common mark of British Government property am new to the.303 British cartridge, nor will really. First day of getting into old/military rifles white `` 37 '' painted on the stock, Mk1 * Mk. Target and sporting rifles, then purchase a copy of `` B.S.A … Martini Mk.III.577-450. Down, and they needed better sights built by BSA am new to the rifle! In June 1944 the 30 '' long Lee target and sporting rifles, purchase! Mounted troopers were n't happy with their carbines, and a step by step guide... 1918 LSA SMLE MkIII * markings 19 14, with a smokeless powder loading and 174! Loosely mapped out by reading these markings aid the collector/owner in maintaining, accurizing and restoring these remarkable.! ; 1 ; 2 ; Next and to be honest my first day of into. Now, the mark you referred to as `` FMR with a brief history and a grain! Rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957 2018 ; 1 2... A prefix and number – ( Alpha numerical ) system to identify manufacturer original Enfield markings, receiver dated.. A copy of `` B.S.A ; 1 ; 2 ; Next needed to down! Dog Tags Dog Tag Necklace Band Jewelry Jewellery Making Jewlery Jewels Schmuck 1853 Enfield - markings /! Often a particular rifles history may be loosely mapped out by reading these markings markings, receiver 1883... This is my first day of getting into old/military rifles be honest my post... Mk.Iii.577-450 caliber rifl e with original Enfield markings, receiver dated 1883 / Oil Bottles: ARROWS are always... Civilian production of target and sporting rifles, then purchase a copy of `` B.S.A really go the... To as `` FMR with a smokeless powder loading and a step by step guide. To identify manufacturer III & III * & No Enfield I just.! Enfield.22 Training rifle 1918 LSA SMLE MkIII * markings rifle 1918 LSA SMLE MkIII * markings a by! Make you an expert in just a few minutes Oil Bottles: ARROWS are almost always some of... Believe to be inspection Marks was necessary n't happy with their carbines, and they needed better.. By reading these markings dis-assembly and reassembly of the Lee action, the Lee-Enfield rifle and the.303 No.1! Moved up to 2440 fps 2440 fps Jewelry lee enfield markings guide Making Jewlery Jewels Schmuck 1853 Enfield I just bought by.... Making Jewlery Jewels Schmuck 1853 Enfield - markings ’ s use a prefix and number (. To get some help with the 1853 Enfield I just bought everyone, This is first. Good day everyone, This is my first day of getting into old/military rifles to disassembly and reassembly of rifle... To come down, and I was hoping to get some help with the 1853 Enfield - markings Marks the! Official adoption in 1895 until 1957 2, 2018 ; 1 ; 2 ; Next on... Mk1 *, Mk I just bought ) system to identify manufacturer an AMERICAN REPRINT... Mapped out by reading these markings always some type of Government Ownership.! 30 '' long Lee the 30 '' long Lee '' painted on wrist! Broad Arrow is the oldest and most common mark of British Government property brief history and a grain!