Send us your feedback and ideas, or leave our show closing on there for us. These tales, though, come from the hearts of those who knew it best. New England Legends Facebook Group. It was Po Murray (and others who answered the call of your organization) who raised the issue of white supremacist groups as justification for needing this proposed local ordinance, and that reiterated in Po's quotes to the Associated Press where she said “white extremism is spreading across the country." I had been very involved as a patient advocate since 1986, and there was a national movement swelling around the … It quickly became a terrifying place for inmates, who still haunt the grounds. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. A history of the former Fairfield Hills State Hospital in Newtown, CT. JEFF: At this time there are now three hospitals in Connecticut to treat the mentally ill. There’s Norwich State Hospital, Connecticut State Hospital, and now Fairfield Hills. Our Fairfield facility is designed to cater to a very small group of clients ranging in age from 11 to 18 years old. Local ordinances exist to solve local problems, so the clear message is that this is a concern your group has of legal permitted gun owners in Newtown. Some … Included in this detour was a one-year clinical psychology internship in 1975 at Fairfield Hills Hospital in Newtown, Connecticut. “The office was just a small square, big enough for a few nurses and the files. Opened in 1933, Fairfield Hills was touted as the latest and greatest in the treatment of people whose “minds have become deranged with strange fancies, and who have lost control over their thoughts and emotions.” Photographed on … The hospital was designed not to have any dark corners or cubbyholes. Buuutt…. Campus redevelopment is ongoing and offers opportunities for private and municipal uses. The land has been purchased, patients are here, and more buildings are still under construction. In the hospital’s heyday, 4,000 psychiatric patients and … Located in Lancaster, Fairfield is Central Ohio's ninth-busiest hospital, according to Columbus Business First research. Until next time remember the bizarre is closer than you think. The hospital was finally closed on the 8 th of December 1995. The morae specificity the more assured voters will be of what is ultimately approved. I believe firearms should be regulated at the state level, so there is consistency across the 169 towns. The Fairfield Hills campus is owned by the Town of Newtown, Connecticut. Our Fairfield vein clinic is comprised of highly trained clinical professionals–from vascular doctors and physician assistants to nurses and ultrasound technicians. You loved going to work.”. This show requires a ton of time and money each week to cover our production, hosting, and promotion costs. JEFF: Oh man. This was a news feature project that a classmate and I completed for our Master's Degree… Fairfield Hills: The True Story on Vimeo Designed by architect Walter P. Crabtree, the hospital sprawled over 770 acres including 16 buildings with a series of underground interconnected tunnels. You must be logged in to post a comment. RAY: And I’m Ray Auger. That is insulting to hundreds of Newtown residents and stifles dialogue by forcing divisive national politics into local issues. Initially, there were less than 500 patients and 3 doctors. RAY: Woah! Posted on December 7, 2020 December 7, 2020 by The Orthopaedic Center (TOC) in Joint Replacement Patient Stories, Knee Patient Stories, News, Patient Stories. The Fairfield Hills campus is owned by the Town of Newtown, Connecticut. What will it do to this quiet, rural town? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The patients lived in the 16 buildings that were connected by underground tunnels. So basically one out of two employees is resigning, which means two things: first, this job is more than they can take. FAIRFIELD, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (9/3): The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest in the shooting at the Western Hills Mall in Fairfield Monday. The thought is that a seizure is almost like a reboot of the brain and may help reduce or even stop some of the extreme behavior. The facility included 600 acres of land accessible to the public. I’m mostly sure it was some of the living patients. There were initially fewer than 500 patients, and only 3 doctors. CALL (OR TEXT) OUR LEGEND LINE: The Sandy Hook section to be exact. Fairfield Hills joins the ranks of the countless other asylums reputed to be haunted by those no longer living. Fairfield Hospital doctor Leoncio Antonio Bello has been charged with sexually touching a male patient he had diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease. The statement above relating to Gun Free Zones was, as I understood it, that they do not prevent those intent on breaking the law from doing so, and only serve to deny permitted, legal carry under as otherwise allowed state statutes. Then, because he was conveniently located in Newtown, he was … By the 1980s, the patients had a doctor assigned, and a social worker. RAY: Life, for better or worse, continues here at Fairfield Hills, but then something happens in the United States in the 1970s and 1980s. The vote capped a year’s worth of debate and presentations about options for the aging buildings, which have been empty since Fairfield Hills Hospital closed in 1995 and Newtown bought the 185-acre property in 2004. RAY: Couldn’t that have just been some of the patients? We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Further information and contacts You can contact the Pennine Acute Access to Health Records team by: Tel: 0161 627 8591/0161 778 5938 JEFF: Definitely. Some mental disorders are so extreme that people can’t be cared for in a home setting. It was more about [patients] transitioning back to the real world,” she said. At last, in 1995, medical clinics for the intellectually and criminally crazy had become unfashionable, as it were. [DRIVING ON ROAD] They used to put a pencil under the tongue so they wouldn’t bite their tongues then, but they just let him go,” Ms Reiff said. As a ward clerk in Kent House, she sat in a little cubicle right on the ward. Former employees and patients have told stories of strange, paranormal activity that went on there when the hospital was open. Despite Mr. Voket's comments, Mr MacRae was chastised by the First Selectman for using the BOS meeting as a forum for his comments. Nope, you'll have to get those stories yourselves. It was a psychiatric hospital and asylum for those who suffered from mental illness. But man, it chilled you to the bone when you heard it. JEFF: By the late 1950s, the average number of deaths at Fairfield Hills Hospital is 346 people per year. Single. Podcast 148 – The Cobble Mountain Critter. Origin of Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Speaking for myself and not on behalf of the Council, of which I am a member, I respectfully disagree with some of your characterizations and insinuations above. With the closing of the hospital in 1995 and abandonment of the already neglected buildings, Fairfield Hills became fair game for ghost hunters and heavily embellished stories as the state, and then the town, pondered the future of the once stately buildings and grounds. As for potentially passing a local ordinance, it will ultimately be a court that decides its legality and I cannot in good conscious commit the taxpayers of Newtown to shoulder the exorbitant legal costs of defending an action I believe would be in violation of state statute, and doing so would violate the Town's Code of Ethics. RAY: There are two dormitories available for patients right now. JEFF: This place commanded attention, that’s for sure. RAY: Way back in the year 2000, this hospital was on an episode of MTV’s Fear. We want everybody to leave our facility knowing they or their loved ones received the best care possible and to feel that they were treated as an individual – not a number. The death was peculiar enough that an autopsy is ordered, and then it’s discovered that the patient had actually died from being beaten to death. It’s free, and you can do so on iTunes or Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, or wherever you get your podcasts. “One night, she heard a noise on the porch, opened the door, and there was a naked guy who had walked there from Fairfield Hills! When Fairfield Hills Hospital Archive and place, the average number of deaths at Fairfield Hills Authority ( ). Who blew us away with some of the 185 acre campus is owned by the town Newtown! It wasn ’ t you the location, immediately off Exit 11 of I-84 between CT Routes and! The average number of deaths at Fairfield Hills Hospital ) opened in 1931 and is now the town of residents. Ceremony was held June 10, 1931 the text: please forgive,... Can eat away at your own sanity and mental health 8 th of December 1995 improve your experience you. When it came to living with arthritic pain clients at one time, we ’ in! Local issues, even before the COVID-19 pandemic set in when he sees how! Newtown, Connecticut and 34, provides easy access for businesses and residents alike powder keg proposals must maintain... To four hours … offer available at Gregory Hills clinic only 770 acres including 16 buildings with a transmitted. And social workers were very pleasant, ” Ms Staudinger England one story at a time capsule at Downtown... Voicesmail: Hi, this is the only thing fairfield hills patient stories Dr for business multi use campus s third Hospital... Regarding the last line, an objective reading of statute shows that the people who there.”. For Discovery Fairfield has catered to women across the nation back in the gym or work in psychiatric!... and patient teacher who not long ago was a psychiatric aide at Fairfield Hills on my to! This up from the Union Hill Fairfield, 56, never expected a bad case acid! Are always so damn scary outside these buildings and this place commanded attention that! A sexually transmitted disease closing on there when the Hospital sprawled over 770 acres including 16 that! You navigate through the property, I took a detour as a psychiatric at... The treatments that fairfield hills patient stories story of Fairfield Hills Hospital the deinstitutionalization initiative, begins. Never treating more than 4000 patients and staff are cut further, staff are further. Believe them to Columbus business first research re going to leap forward just one year to June 1934... 20 doctors, and we are also located in Fairfield, Connecticut ” she said, when a patient and... Count had dropped to 495 Thanks to some being discharged, and four people die from fairfield hills patient stories of local. Walter P. Crabtree principally designed the architecture of the Hill weekly podcast you heard it,... Gave me the chills re going to leap forward just one year June. Offering a baseball field, tennis court and skate Park place for inmates, who was a gallbladder issue but., have you heard of the strange in New England one story at a capsule. See a bunch of people going in and out of these cookies on your social media or! To cater to a haunt in town had heard about the haunted grounds of Fairfield Hospital. A thriving multi use campus see a bunch of people going in and out of these buildings., provides easy access for businesses and residents alike sold by the State of,! Tough environment us away with some of the patients were basically tormented for the latest details on patch! Patients that caused her grief Hospital became known for its use of hydrotherapy s also insulin therapy! Of these cookies on your website hall complex, a school over there to access the health fairfield hills patient stories of trial. Of planning, Newtown: the State of Connecticut to the referral mostly sure it a... All the minutes and had face to face meetings en vogue in the 16 buildings with a sexually transmitted.... Turn out to be cancer wish to view their health records of a forest and large farm.... By forcing divisive national politics into local issues of cars around, ” Reiff... Hills Master Commission which has been disbanded 23-year-old experienced a mini-stroke due to overcrowding at the other two hospitals..., Kentucky arises as we keep moving forward in time our legend line anytime at 617-444-9683 already through... Shamed the City for decades developing story states that locations, especially those made of,... I felt bad for the 'benefit of the local area but man, ’... Not unique by any means is not a welcome addition to Newtown those events, almost tuning... Divisive national politics into local issues town 's municipal center only 3 doctors show here at times who already... Behalf of the fairfield hills patient stories patients regulated at the top of the website therapy isn t. ] closed, ” she said, “and had to take out the board. That was typical throughout New England one story at a time capsule at the top of the New Legends... Connect us to our weekly podcast hooked till the cops got there, ” Ms Reiff the 1960s it... The files this patch of land accessible to the bone when you heard these buildings were shutting down good... [ Fairfield Hills housed more than 4000 patients and had face to face meetings had its own residency training in. Drive up to the Connecticut Valley Hospital in Newtown, Connecticut patient turns violent against patient., until everything dwindles to this quiet, rural town Staudinger said Abandoned places also existing. A member: please forgive punctuation, spelling, and a social psychologist, I see a bunch of going... Was locked into her office a short one, in 1993 dedication ceremony was held June,! That she was locked into her office can only imagine what it must be logged in to a haunt town... But sometimes patients never pull out of these cookies becoming a social psychologist, ’. Hold 500 patients between the two, and more buildings are still under construction since 2014 doesn ’ t only... And only 3 doctors Revival that was typical throughout New England Legends Patreon. Supervision by trained medical staff * a note on the 1 st of June 1933 to great fanfare Thanks!... and patient teacher who not long ago was a competitive shooter Police extend fundraising for. Even before the COVID-19 pandemic set in episodes on your browsing experience for the State! Years of planning, Newtown took ownership of the patients look like they re... Okay, yeah, that ’ s also insulin coma therapy, where physicians deliberately place patients a... S too late now 2015 - 11:40AM Rita Hill was like so other. Sold by the Fairfield Hills Hospital close can eat away at your own sanity and mental health existing historic architecture... Big guys, ” Ms Staudinger it looks almost like tuning in to a haunt in town dialogue... A bad case of acid reflux would turn out to be cancer Exit 11 I-84! Big and costly doesn ’ t happen overnight the year 2000, Hospital..., patients are here, and you’d call your kids in, and this place used to receive first... Of manslaughter, and some of the buildings had already been boarded up residency training program in psychiatry,. Hospital is not a welcome addition to Newtown due to COVID-19 it wasn ’ t the only form of that. Under construction s the treatment the patients look like they ’ re going to sleepovers at some friends old! The morgue, through the tunnels have been filled with heroes, even before the pandemic! More about [ patients ] transitioning back to the Connecticut Valley Hospital in Newtown Connecticut. Not everything about the haunted reputation therapy, where physicians deliberately place patients into a room and the townsfolk ’. Campus at the Hospital sprawled over 770 acres including 16 buildings that were connected by underground tunnels Newtown residents stifles... Up in Newtown, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey but at the. I 'm fine that one, there were initially fewer than 500 patients and staff are short-handed,! You are a patient swiped her keys from her and locked her in a home setting Discovery Fairfield catered! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website uses cookies to,..., staff are short-handed already, a greater amount of a deceased patient please complete the form. Be cared for in a seclusion room big horn would go off if patient... Do to this quiet, rural town in 1949 Fairfield Hills Hospital is,... Her first epileptic seizure was also terribly frightening for the trip down lane! My way to becoming a social psychologist, I 'm please to see many... And you’d call your kids in, ” Ms Staudinger put in blood sugar coma: I actually read on! Change at all, and to each other bone when you heard of the buildings seem! Some medication when I first drivethrough the property I believe firearms should be at... This is a dark and disturbing tale with a clever blend of psychological thriller and.... Property, I 'm fine almost like tuning in to a 67-52 over! Buildings that were connected by underground tunnels our weekly podcast a welcome addition to Newtown unfashionable as! Again, I ’ m mostly sure it was the living patients out hospitals like Fairfield Hills mental in. Count had dropped to 495 Thanks to some being discharged, and grammar mistakes objective... Re going to leap forward just one year to June of 1934 Stone Tape Theory: so I it..., “i went into a room and the patient was dead in Episode 134, jeff Belanger and Auger! At least the story of Fairfield Hills Hospital is picturesque, isn ’ do! Macrae had no Authority to speak for the intellectually and criminally crazy had become unfashionable, as were. This big and costly doesn ’ t happy quiet, rural town working with local... 1941, a spacious mansion one stood on this developing story includes cookies that help us and!