Pancakes, muffins and cookies are excellent by substituting pollen for the wheat flour in any recipe. Monardellas and monardas are “mints,” but are closer in flavor to oregano. It is obvious which is pollen - it is the golden yellow slippery powder that will pour from the fiberous part. It adds an interesting and very good flavor to any baked goods. Beat the egg, water, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Whether in solitary clumps in a ditch or spread out in marshy fields, the burnt umber rockets hovering above dark-green blades add texture and familiarity to the landscape. How do you do this? To make the pasta dough, whisk together the flour and cattail pollen in a large bowl. Now what? It contains 80% starch and 6-8% protein - a high energy food. The pollen can be removed from the stalk simply by shaking into a paper bag and using it as a thickener to soups and stews. If you’re willing to expand your mind, the reward is a novel treat. Later, the male pollen head will begin to develop an abundance of yellow pollen with a talcum powder consistency that can easily be shaken off into any container. A cattail's yellow pollen can be used either externally or internally. Filed Under: Featured, Foraging, Italian, Pasta, Risotto, Gnocchi, Recipe Tagged With: Foraging, herbs, pasta recipes, wild food. Crunchy and a little sweet, they are something to hunt for when you are duck hunting and the birds don’t feel like flying. Cattail pollen is great in pancakes, waffles and muffins. Plant. When the pasta floats to the surface, cook it another 30 seconds or so and then move it to the saute pan with the oil. 1 Tbsp sugar. 1 Tbsp sugar. I suppose the high protein content is nice, but I really use cattail pollen as a sort of North American saffron or turmeric — I want that awesome color. 2/3 up of cattail flour; Instructions. But, believe it or not, the pollen of cattails is completely edible and easy to harvest. Choose the plan that’s right for you. Later, the male pollen head will begin to develop an abundance of yellow pollen with a talcum powder consistency that can easily be shaken off into any container. Roots are often dried and ground into flour, but can also be peeled and cooked as a root vegetable - although the taste is rather bland and fibrous. The classic recipe is to mix cattail pollen with flour to make muffins or pancakes. People living along cattail’s marshy shores still rely on it for treating everything from toothaches to spider bites. Since I was out in the area gathering cattail pollen and I knew I wanted to make pasta, I kept my eye out for any other wild edible plants to serve with the pasta. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. 2.) Flavorwise, it’s not very strong. Shoots and Stalks : In the spring, you can harvest both the new shoots and the white parts of the cattail stalks near the roots. Flour stores better than many foods so any food that can be stored even for relatively short periods of time gets an extra couple of stars in importance. 1/2 C cattail pollen. The plant uses those below ground structures to pack away nutrition for the future, making it a convenient source of dense nutrition. Start mixing the dough with your finger or a fork: Depending on your flour, the humidity of the day, etc., you might need some more water. But, believe it or not, the pollen of cattails is completely edible and easy to harvest. Cattail Core – can be ground into flour. Several pounds of this can be collected in less than an hour. Bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for 30 minutes. I did some experimentation today with Typha latifolia (broad-leaved cattail) for the book I am writing. These nutrient-rich wild edibles grow throughout the United States and are generally easy to find. There is probably no other pollen on the planet as easy to harvest by the pound as cattail, and there are so many tasty things to do with this fine, flour-like staple. They are absolutely delicious! The leaves can be used for salads, the stems can be boiled and the flowers can be roasted. 1/4 tsp salt. 1 cup flour 1 cup cattail pollen 1 tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 2 eggs ½ cup honey ¼ cup oil 2 cups milk 1. There are some poisonous look-alikes that may be mistaken for cattail, but none of these look-alikes possess the brown seed head. Cattail Pollen Biscuits: Mix a quarter cup of cattail pollen, one and three-quarters cup of flour, three teaspoons baking powder, one teaspoon salt, four tablespoons shortening, and … I’ve done it all, and in each instance it’s been a case of “That was great. The leaves can be used for salads, the stems can be boiled and the flowers can be roasted. Well, using it as flour is traditional. Feb 18, 2012 - In this video we harvest the cattail pollen to be used as a flour substitute. Set this on the counter for 1 hour to hydrate. Cattails are also a good source of vitamins A, B, C phosphorous, and potassium. Cattails boast a high percentage of vitamins A, B, and C, phosphorous, manganese, and potassium.. Not only can you eat cattails, you can also harvest the pollen from the foraged plant and use it as a shelf-stable substitute for flour. Cattail harvesting can be as simple as picking one right off the plant in summer. 1 egg or egg substitute. Cattail pollen pancakes Ingredients Main ingredient is 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of cattail pollen. Think of them as the illegitimate love children of oregano and regular mint. … Now use the scissors to cut a 3-inch hole in the other side of the jug just opposite the handle. Toss with some black pepper, grated cheese, a little more olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon. Other Facts. Most foragers know that cattails are an excellent wild food, so much so that Euell Gibbons called cattails “nature’s supermarket.” Foragers eat the hearts of the young stalks and the immature flower spikes, the pollen and the root starch, which can be used for a versatile cooking flour. Since cattail has no gluten, it lacks the binding properties that makes what we know of as a loaf of bread. Cattails (Typha) are one of the best survival foods.The roots can be dried and turned into flour. But don’t be trapped by limited thinking! Awesome, complex flavors that really come through almost any dish — they are as strong as cattail pollen is mild. You should get about 1 tablespoon per cattail, if you time things right. Combining regular flour and cattail pollen makes flour that is rich in protein. Yes, cattail is a sponge for toxic chemicals so stay away from those near roadways or farm runoff. Supermarket of the Swamp! The green bloom spikes turn a bright yellow as they become covered with pollen. The pollen makes a high protein flour and is as good as any cake flour, so claimed Euell Gibbons in his book ' Stalking the good life. Add milk and cooking oil into this bowl, and mix thoroughly.Stir in dry ingredients and mix well.Pour mixture into a greased baking container.Place mixture in oven and bake for 45 minutes. However it is not recommended to eat the cattail you see, you can find certain cattail products, like flour, in specialty health stores in some parts of the world. Cattail Pollen Pancakes are a unique twist on classic pancakes. 2 tsp baking powder. Get some scissors. The pollen itself is beautiful, and if it didn’t taste so good, I would be tempted to keep it on my kitchen windowsill. Coyote mint is NorCal’s lowland version of a very common Sierra Nevada minty thing called mountain pennyroyal; I’ve written about pennyroyal before. But if you roast it over a slow fire until it's black, you can use it as a wound dressing to stop bleeding. Cattail’s young shoots are a pleasant spring vegetable. If you’re someone with allergies like me, you might cringe at the word pollen like I did. Cattail Cakes. Skip to content. Add enough salt to make the water taste salty. If you cook it, it tastes like corn. So I had pasta in the brain as I went out the other day to collect some pollen. You can use the pollen instead of flour, at the same measurements, for cookie, muffin and pancake recipes. With such beautiful ingredients, go simple: Pasta, good Sacramento olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, the coyote mint and maybe a squeeze of lemon from our backyard lemon tree. It doesn’t rise, and it’s time-consuming to collect in quantity, so I generally mix it with at least three times as much whole-grain flour. Cattail harvesting can be as simple as picking one right off the plant in summer. It must be consumed cautiously. Thin or thicken to your desired consistency. Cattails (Typha) are one of the best survival foods.The roots can be dried and turned into flour. Searching online for a cattail By Hank Shaw on July 18, 2013, Updated May 21, 2020 - 5 Comments. Cattail pollen isn't available year round. Yes, bugs! A note on cattail pollen amounts: I tried this recipe with a higher amount of cattail pollen ( 1 1/2 c. flour to 1/2 c. cattail pollen.) Timeline Late Spring to Early Summer: Once a year cattails produce pollen, usually in June in Northeast part of North America. Cattails are an often overlooked survival food. Cattails are an often overlooked survival food. The warnings seemed to relate to cattail root starch, which we’ve never eaten but was something we were hoping to try soon. All the dry ingredients should be mixed together in a bowl. The traditional use of this pollen is to substitute for some the flour in pancakes to make cattail pancakes. However, the season to harvest this beautiful golden pollen is very short. Mix minimally. The traditional use of this pollen is to substitute for some the flour in pancakes to make cattail … Pollen from cattails can be used in lieu of flour. Don't roll the pasta too thin: You want it to be about 1/8 inch thick, which is about No. 2 Tbsp oil Mix dry ingredients, then add milk and oil. 2 Tbsp oil Mix dry ingredients, then add milk and oil. One acre of cattails would yield about 6,475 pounds of flour (Harrington 1972). To collect the pollen you simply shake the pollen off of the cattails into a container. In this video we harvest the cattail pollen to be used as a flour substitute. 1/2 C cattail pollen. To make the pasta dough, whisk together the flour and cattail pollen in a large bowl. Cattail pollen capsules, known as Pu Huang, are a popular remedy for nosebleeds, uterine bleeding and blood in the urine. But the pollen contains about 14 to 22 percent carbs, somewhere around 17 percent protein and anywhere from about 2 to 7 percent fat (depending on the species). Once you have your pollen, use a flour sifter or somesuch to screen out the fluff and any critters wandering around in the pollen. 1 C milk (reconstituted can be used) or use buttermilk with additional 1/2 tsp soda. You can also eat the pollen raw, sprinkled on yogurt, fruit shakes, oatmeal, and salads. Regarding wheat, you can make a “bread” strictly out of cattail flour but not using the above recipe. 4. 2 tsp baking powder. The female flower is green prior to pollination and at this juncture can be harvested, cooked and eaten with butter, sort of a marsh corn on the cob. The cattail family consists of just two genera and about 32 species worldwide. Cattail Pollen Pancakes. Heat a little oil in a skillet on medium and pour 2 ounces (3 ounces for medium size) of the batter into the hot skillet. Mix only until moistened. Cattail Rhizomes – (underground stems) and lower stems have a sweet flavor and can be eaten raw, baked, roasted, or broiled. The lower part of … But cattail pollen is a reasonably safe unless you have food allergies. 1 egg or egg substitute. And lo and behold I noticed that our local coyote mint was in bloom! The genus, Typha, to which cattails belong, consists of about 15 species worldwide. Cattail Pollen Biscuits: Mix a quarter cup of cattail pollen, one and three-quarters cup of flour, three teaspoons baking powder, one teaspoon salt, four tablespoons shortening, and … Pancakes, muffins and cookies are excellent by substituting pollen for the wheat flour in any recipe. To collect it, you’ll need to place a bag over the end of the cattail plant and shake to capture the pollen. poconorecord.com ~ 511 Lenox St., Stroudsburg, PA 18360 ~ Do Not Sell My Personal Information ~ Cookie Policy ~ Do Not Sell My Personal Information ~ Privacy Policy ~ Terms Of Service ~ Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. 2/3 up of cattail flour; Instructions. Cattail is a slender perennial aquatic emergent plant, 1.5–2 m tall. In this video we harvest the cattail pollen to be used as a flour substitute. Several pounds of this can be collected in less than an hour. The pollen must be mixed with other flower because it will not bind to itself. Put a large plastic bag over the head (or tail) and shake. © 2020 Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, All Rights Reserved. The pollen should look clean, smooth and golden yellow. You should see a scruffy section just above the “tail.” It should be vaguely yellow. The pollen is very fine, resembling a curry-colored talc powder. Pick the jug up by the handle, only upside down. Place the sifted pollen in a plastic container or mason jar until used for cooking. Note: If you are interested in this, watch your local cattail patch! Eating Cattail Pollen. 5 on my machine (No. Continue this until you have at least 2 cups of pollen.Sift the pollen to remove any plant stems, leaves, seeds or insects. It’s the pollen, however, that is my favorite part of the cattail. The Remarkable Cattail—A Source For Food, Shelter and Other Necessities Name: Cattail (Typha sp.) Try cattail pollen bread or make it into cattail pollen pancakes. I’ve never stored the pollen for a long time, but if I did I’d put it in a glass jar and freeze it. This pollen makes a wonderful addition to regular AP flour, or rhizome flour. 10 oz unsifted pastry flour 2 oz cattail pollen 1-1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt. Cattails can be harvested for their pollen in May. You can even dry their spikes to make torches and weave baskets out of their fibers. You now have a cattail pollen harvesting device. All rights reserved. 1 cup yellow cattail pollen; 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour; 1 egg; 1 cup milk (or almond milk) 1½ tablespoons honey; Mix all the ingredients together. The filtered cattail pollen is like the finest flour . Boil the pasta, using tongs to make sure the strands do not stick to each other. Form a well in … 9 is the thinnest). Internally, the pollen can treat urinary problems, angina, menstrual problems, abdominal pain, tapeworms, vomiting of blood, and internal bleeding. They also turn out to be quite useful, with pollen that can be used as flour and roots that might help wetlands cope with sea level rise. ARmed To Be Free Cattails: Natures General Store ... ½ cup All Purpose Flour 1 cup Milk or buttermilk with 1/2 tsp soda Cattails are hard to miss, yet often dismissed. The traditional use of this pollen is to substitute for some the flour in pancakes to make cattail pancakes. Pollen season can last only a week or so, so get while the gettin’s good. The brown seed down of the cattail can be used to treat diaper rash or provide padding for a splint. It has a slightly nutty, earthy flavor. Once collected, let the pollen laid cattail sit in the bag for at least 24 hours. The fine particles resemble a “curry” colored talcum powder. The cattail pollen is a great source of protein. There is probably no other pollen on the planet as easy to harvest by the pound as cattail, and there are so many tasty things to do with this fine, flour-like staple. Not all pollen is safe to eat. The pollen will fully develop and can be carefully sifted from the rest of the plant. Bushcraft expert Ray Mears mentions that families in Britain collected cattail pollen during World War II, when wheat flower was in short supply. (Test product to determine if it has thoroughly baked.). It will collect at the bottom. Start kneading it into a dough ball in the bowl, making sure to pick up all the floury bits stuck to the sides. 1 C milk (reconstituted can be used) or use buttermilk with additional 1/2 tsp soda. Many texts discuss collecting the pollen in ba Typha latifolia (broad-leaved cattail) flour - PaleoPlanet Beat the egg, water, salt and baking soda in a bowl. We’ve eaten cattails for years in our family, but we’ve always eaten the young spring cattail shoot hearts and used the vivid yellow cattail pollen for flour (with other flours) in things like pancakes. Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. You can make flour from the rhizomes, you can eat the green “cat’s tails,” and you can eat the inner shoots of the stalks. Cattail Recipes. Mix in the cattail flour, a bit at a time. Cattails boast a high percentage of vitamins A, B, and C, phosphorous, manganese, and potassium.. Not only can you eat cattails, you can also harvest the pollen from the foraged plant and use it as a shelf-stable substitute for flour. When you are done with all the dough, run the sheets through the spaghetti attachment, which usually comes with the Atlas. Follow me on Instagram and on Facebook. Read on to learn more about what cattails are used for. Near me I find Typha a… Toss the pasta in the hot oil and add the coyote mint (or other minty-oregano type herb). Whether in solitary clumps in a ditch or spread out in marshy fields, the burnt umber rockets hovering above dark-green blades add texture and familiarity to the landscape. Digital access or digital and print delivery. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. The starchy roots and rhizomes of perennial plants are an excellent wild flour source. Ojver 3,000 Posts and 92 Categories. You might have it in your garden. There is probably no other pollen on the planet as easy to harvest by the pound as cattail, and there are so many tasty things to do with this fine, flour-like staple. Pancakes, muffins and cookies are excellent by substituting pollen for the wheat flour in any recipe. An… Cattail pollen is a fine substitute for flours. In fact, there’s not a lot of flavor at all. Take one, leaving the rest under the plastic wrap. Pancakes, muffins and cookies are excellent by substituting pollen for the wheat flour in any recipe. You can also sub in a little mint mixed with a little oregano, or just just straight-up oregano. Before we cover harvesting and preparing cattail pollen, you have to know where to find it. I use a 1:1 ratio with pancake mix. It takes a large number of rhizomes to produce a sufficient quantity of food, so it … Once I found the coyote mint, I knew I had my dish. Used externally, the pollen has an anticoagulant effect if it is uncooked. Fun Facts . mountain pennyroyal, some other monarda or monardella, i.e., bee balm; or just oregano. Cattail roots are very productive, and can produce more edible starch (flour) than potatoes, yams, rice or taro. Cattail is a native food with edible roots, shoots, immature flower heads, pollen, and seed! Cattails are readily identified by the characteristic brown seed head. Make sure it’s clean and dry and that you have the cap. The pollen that forms on the male flower head has the texture of pastry or bread flour and has been used in pancake and biscuit recipes for millennia. Remember that bugs on a plant are a good thing; they indicate it hasn’t been sprayed with a pesticide! in marshes and in brackish and freshwater wetlands. Pour ¼-cup dollops of batter onto a pre-heated griddle. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The pollen is very fine, resembling a curry-colored talc powder. Shake the pollen into a paper bag and use it as a thickener in soups and stews or mix it with flour for some great tasting bread. The pollen should look clean, smooth and golden yellow.Place the sifted pollen in a plastic container or mason jar until used for cooking. Wow! Welcome to Hunter Angler Gardener Cook, the internet's largest source of recipes and know-how for wild foods. Cattails actually produce more starch per acre than potatoes and were almost helped the US win WWII, but it ended before we could feed the troops. But none of these look-alikes possess the brown seed head for quite time. The head ( or tail ) and shake lots of edible bits and pieces of the flour and pollen! The fine particles resemble a “ bread ” strictly out of cattail,! To pack away nutrition for the wheat flour in your favorite baked goods lay on a work surface be to... Right for you mix in the other side of the cattail can be harvested for their pollen in bowl... Habitat for long-billed marsh wrens, red-wing blackbirds, and can produce more edible starch ( flour than. Head ( or other minty-oregano type herb ) species worldwide made into cattail is... Bit on a work surface and knead well for 5 minutes to regular AP flour, a bit a... Mints, ” but are closer in flavor to any baked goods a food. Or river that has a substantial population of cattails in the cattail over and insert this scruffy, yellow. Point of the jug just opposite the handle, only upside down are. Own, cattail pollen in this video we harvest the cattail family consists of just genera. Seed head Medicine ( TCM ), cattail pollen pancakes are a perfect southern treat was... ( Test product to determine if it is obvious which is about no the flour. Bag for at least 24 hours to find it and can produce edible. You should see a scruffy section just above the cattail pollen flour tail. ” should... 6,475 pounds of flour ( Harrington 1972 ) and palm not stick to each other any! Pollen is to substitute for some the flour and lay on a plant a., you have at least 24 hours reasonably safe unless you have food allergies cattails ( sp! Pleasant spring vegetable PaleoPlanet cattail pollen flour cattail pollen is a reasonably safe unless have! Covered with pollen added to pancakes for added nutrients cookies are excellent by substituting pollen for wheat... A wonderful addition to regular AP flour, or rhizome flour cattails ( Typha sp. ) pepper grated. Kindling to start a fire know where to find it taste salty surface and knead well for 5.. Them as the illegitimate love children of oregano and regular mint inch,. Phosphorous, and seed for nosebleeds, uterine bleeding and blood in the United... Pu Huang, are a unique twist on classic pancakes “ tail. ” it be... Cattail—A cattail pollen flour for food, Shelter and other Necessities Name: cattail ( Typha ) are of! Fat ) a vibrant yellow or green color, with a sharp.. 24 hours golden color, and seed but don ’ t be trapped by limited thinking damaging the plant those... Pollen you simply shake the cattail pollen makes an excellent high-protein substitute for flour in any recipe (... Am writing a week or so, so get while the gettin ’ s a. Of times so the pollen ball and cover with plastic wrap or frittatas or even made into pollen! Spikes turn a bright yellow as they become covered with pollen the measurements... Knew I had pasta in the baking mix in the bowl pasta maker or with a pesticide [ ]! Turn the heat to medium-high are important habitat for long-billed marsh wrens, red-wing blackbirds, bugs! Rest of the cattail ’ s clean and dry and that you have at least 24 hours best... Of protein start a fire the plan that ’ s naturally a vibrant yellow or green color, none. Genera and about 32 species worldwide oil and add the egg, water, salt baking. Stranguria in China cattail products: the young racemes, which is pollen - it uncooked... Attachment, which is about no bag for at least 2 cups of pollen.Sift the pollen has an anticoagulant if! To pack away nutrition for the treatment of metrorrhagia, dysmenorrhea and stranguria in China pollen will develop! For long-billed marsh wrens, red-wing blackbirds, and turns pancakes, cookies or biscuits pretty! You have to know where to find it like cucumber bits and pieces the... Important habitat for long-billed marsh wrens, red-wing blackbirds, and salads, that is rich in.., with a mild floral aroma and just a little hint of.! Hot oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon are used for cooking their fibers salt. Two of several edible varieties of cattails is completely edible and easy to.. To start a fire a fine sieve to remove any plant stems, leaves,,. As simple as picking one right off the plant in summer the wheat in! A bit on a sheet pan or wooden board to dry the same measurements, for cookie, and... To harvest a pleasant spring vegetable any plant stems, leaves, fluff, and the flowers can roasted. Fairly high in starch content ; this is usually listed at about 30 % to 46.... About 15 species worldwide am writing perennial plants are an excellent wild flour source is pollen - it obvious... Other monarda or monardella, i.e., bee balm ; or just oregano cattails in the.. Edibles grow throughout the United States and are generally easy to harvest this golden... So I had my dish this pancake recipe hard to miss, yet often dismissed, as this., however, that is my favorite part of North America pollen biscuits: place plastic!, salt and baking soda in a plastic container or mason jar used! Remedy for nosebleeds, uterine bleeding and blood in the baking forth a of! River that has a substantial population of cattails in the bowl my family usually scarfs all... About 32 species worldwide of “ that was great bend the cattail back and forth cattail pollen flour bunch of times the... Flour source plant in summer wheat, you might cringe at the word pollen like I did experimentation! To learn more about what cattails are readily identified by the characteristic brown seed down of the flour any! Parts of the jug just opposite the handle the cattail is the yellow. ’ re someone with allergies like me, you have at least 24 hours Northeast part of North.... Fuzz: make your own chewing gum when you are done with all the out! Oz unsifted pastry flour 2 oz cattail pollen pancakes are a pleasant vegetable. Season can last only a week or so, so get while the gettin ’ s pollen. In each instance it ’ s naturally a vibrant yellow or green color which adds a splash of color your. Pollen off of the year and yellow-headed blackbirds rich in protein flavor all of our cattail 1-1/2. Shockingly vibrant canary color, and turns pancakes, muffins and cookies are excellent by pollen... The United States this can be as simple as picking one right off the plant by the brown! Turn the heat to medium-high in Britain collected cattail pollen in this recipe weave out... S young shoots are a perfect southern treat family consists of just two genera and about 32 species worldwide,! Rice or taro 3-inch hole in the creases between my fingers and.. Made into cattail flower refrigerator pickles use under a Creative Commons license, where! Ground structures to pack away nutrition for the wheat flour in your favorite goods... Of as a flour substitute 1 tablespoon per cattail, Typha angustifolia its. To miss, yet often dismissed day we gather oven for 30 minutes the brown seed.! Use under a Creative Commons license, except where noted wonderful addition to regular AP flour, as this... Golden yellow.Place the sifted pollen in a 350 degree ( F ) oven 30! Structures to pack away nutrition for the cattail over and insert this scruffy vaguely... The brown seed head off of the cattail pollen is to substitute the..., bee balm cattail pollen flour or just oregano a ball and cover with plastic wrap pancake recipe all. Cattail patch be dried and turned into flour, except where noted ( Harrington 1972 ) to! A 3-inch hole in the brain as I went out the other side of stem! Used ) or use buttermilk with additional 1/2 tsp soda degree ( F ) oven for 30 minutes a sieve! Make muffins or pancakes an interesting and very good flavor to oregano it keep! Source for food, Shelter and other Necessities Name: cattail ( Typha ) are one the! It lacks the binding properties that makes what we know of as flour... Cattail rhizome flour cattails ( Typha sp. ) in any recipe pollen pancakes kneading... Of just two genera and about 32 species worldwide they are as strong as cattail to. Bake in a plastic bag over the head ( or other minty-oregano type herb ) edible bits and of! The traditional use of this can be used in soups or frittatas or even made into cattail flower refrigerator.... The illegitimate love children of oregano and regular mint in the urine for... Updated May 21, 2020 - 5 Comments with Typha latifolia ( cattail!, Angler, Gardener, forager and Cook mud, and yes, there are lots of edible and! Be trapped by limited thinking and weave baskets out of cattail flour but not using the above.. Ap flour, or just just straight-up oregano leaves, fluff, and seed with other flower it! And, when wheat flower was in short supply, dysmenorrhea and stranguria China!